Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Banks

I went to the bank yesterday. I use a popular free checking bank, but the draw back is the 2 closest branches are 30 miles away. This really isn't an issue since I work in that town a few times a week on average or more. There are some banks in my hometown, but I never bothered to change since I was already set up. That is until yesterday. I had to make a simple deposit. I fill out my slip ahead of time so I don't have to watch people get ahead of me in line, so I walk in and get in line. I am the only person in line with 1 old lady filling out paperwork. (ha!) As I'm standing there, I survey the bank. I see one teller grabbing some paperwork and vanish into the back. There are 2 people sitting down, I hesitate to call them "bankers" since they were just sitting there talking to each other. Now the 2 "bankers" are no shock to be just sitting there. They'll never get up to help as a teller. The real kicker was the only teller station in operation was a guy helping a lady, but the fact the only other teller working was leaning on the counter with her back to the line(which had grown to about 4 or 5 people) talking in a casual way to the only customer getting helped in the bank. So, this goes on for a few minutes all the while I'm getting ticked, and looking to the "banker" who can see the line and should get up or say something. Not a word was said to waiting customers no "someone will be with you in a moment" nothing. I started to feel like I was at the DMV and not a business trying to make money. I reached my boiling point and did something obnoxious. It was raining, so on my way in, my feet got wet. This turned out to be my tool to be annoying. The footwear I was wearing squeaked as I walked on the smooth floor in the bank, so when I got so annoyed by the whole situation, I started twisting my foot back and forth producing a loud squeaking noise the whole bank could hear I'm sure since its a small branch inside a department store.
Well, the slacker teller finally got the hint and decided to stop ripping off her employer and got back to work. She tells me she can help me, so as I am walking to the counter I ask her if she was done with her personal conversation, she replies no, so I comment how service has gone down in both branches lately. She acted surprised at that. I had a smiler frustrating experience at the other branch a few weeks ago, so I spoke honestly. My transaction took a few seconds just a simple deposit, but its depressing knowing that there's really no one to complain about this to that would give me any satisfaction. So I decided to change to a local bank where they will most likely end up knowing my name and provide a much more personal feeling service. I know the massive corporate bank won't feel it, but I'll feel better about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment