Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Bus Has Landed

I went to Eugene to pick up the bus about 180 miles or so from my house. Had to meet a guy up there and get the title and go to the bus site and get it started. Starting it was not a big deal it just took a new battery, and it fired right up. So I get on the road. The bus is doing good, and I'm heading home. Its evening time and darkness falls on the way home, but I turn the lights on and keep the bus rolling. The trip was fine for most of the way, but after going through the wide spot in the road called Wonder the bus engine stalled out and I had to pull over. It starts again and I get about a mile down the road and it stalls out again from not getting gas. I was told about this issue before I bought it, but had hoped I'd make it home and deal with it, but no such luck. It died on the road about 11:00pm. I was half on the road and off in a spot where there was no long view of me so cars were coming up on me quick. Fortunately, I had someone following me, so they parked a ways down the road with flashers on as an early warning.

So here I am stuck on the side of the road. I crawled under the bus and wasn't able to determine the fuel line, so I get on the phone to tow truck companies. I get the closest one on the phone and have him come out. I must not have conveyed the immense size of the bus because he brought out a truck that was too small to tow it. There's another hour wait for him to go get the right truck. The bus ends up at my house close to 3am.

At least I was only 16 miles from home and not 160!

No comments:

Post a Comment